Wednesday 8 August 2012

Greenhills: Club Filipino


Club Filipino: Back To The Future

"We explore Club Filipino, expecting grandeur, only to see the changes and its deterioration.
Deterioration that actually showed us what the big picture really is."

The torrential rain brought about by 
the infamous 7-8-12 monsoon, 
the car we used to get there, and the
 parking entrance to Club Filipino.


We braced the rain, deciding whether to go with it or not. 
This is our last chance. We decided to take the risk even with the torrential rains,
 the strong winds, and the flooded streets.







The History


The front of Club Filipino with its
Filipino inspired logo.
Walking to Greenhills, one cannot tell that this densely populated area of San Juan is actually a living and breathing place of history. Past through the famous Greenhills Shopping Center, the towering condominium buildings, and the ever famous subdivisions of Greenhills and Wack-Wack, a piece of Philippine history stands, and still in use today.

Club Filipino (pronounced: “Cloob”)  was born on November 6, 1898. After the declaration of Philippine Independence on June 12, 1898, it was put up as a club for Illustrados (prestigious or rich Filipinos at that time) and influential politicians to be able to meet and settle their ordeals. Some of its famous members were Gen. Antonio Luna, and former President Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo, who also served as the club’s honorary president.

The Club, under the reign of Spanish conquistadors, was not originally called Club Filipino. Upon the birth of the club, it was originally called Club Filipino Independiente, or Independent Filipino Club. Four years later, the name was then replaced to Club International after the turnover of power to the Americans. Then, in 1905, after the club members debated to the government (under influence of the Americans) on the club’s change of name, the name was then changed to Club Filipino, after the club members have decided to retain the original name sans the Independiente.

Not only has its name changed, but also its location; moving from one place to another through the years. According to Club Filipino’s official website, Club Filipino was born first as a club with no official clubhouse. The different clubhouses throughout the past years could not be traced, as the old clubhouses were under constant relocation due to economic reasons. The permanent clubhouse was inaugurated on October 18, 1970 in its now famous Greenhills San Juan area, where it still stands to this day.


Expectations


The visit to the club was not as fabulous, nor as historic as I imagined it to be. It was ordinary. In fact, a bit too ordinary to even have any historic value for me. We entered the club through the parking lot, as it was most convenient to enter through. There we were greeted with the scent of car smog and sweaty gym users, as the gym’s entrance was apparently near the entrance. I was accompanied by Miguel Tiosejo, a member of Club Filipino. He was there to give me a tour around the club. Entering the club, one can see a long hallway with different doors. I could imagine these rooms being the places where the president did this, or this significant person did that. Sadly, they were actually just storage rooms, entrances to the locker rooms, and a bathroom.



I’ve been wanting to document Club Filipino for a long time. After announcing that our trip would be here, I was ecstatic to document and show the beauty of a true Philippine heritage. Contrary to what I expected, disappointment was all I got. I didn’t have much of an urge to even bring out my camera as the place was almost left uncared for. The faded white paint on the walls, the very uninspiring fluorescent lamps on the ceiling, I sort of expected a grandeur Spanish inspired type of entrance.

Terrace Cafe

We went up the stairs, a staircase with marble flooring, and was greeted with the loud roar of the rain. The staircase lead us to the outdoor terrace where Terrace Cafe, a restaurant-cafe, was located. The cafe was quite typical for a clubhouse. Small chairs and tables adorned the red bricked flooring of the terraces guarded by Spanish inspired rails and pillars, overlooking the swimming pool. Here you can see people eating, some even on pambahay looking clothing, but one can notice the teeming number of senior-citizens eating, resting and talking in this area.



The terraces didn’t quite have an appeal to me. Even though it looked historic, it wasn’t the good kind of historicism. The red bricked floor, polished yet was somewhat too old, not replaced for years. The walls, separating the terrace from the inside of the club, were Spanish Capiz windows, but the thing that seemed wrong would be that it was painted white, making it seem very unauthentic.


Restaurant 1898

Passing through Terrace Cafe, you can see a small restaurant in front of it. It’s lit by tungsten bulbs and designed like an old Spanish restaurant. The restaurant, aptly named “1898,” was put up to replicate the dining experience during the Spanish era. It somehow looked as if it was trying too hard to be Spanish that it wasn’t authentic anymore. The dirty floor, old eating utensils, and old lamps made it look like an old restaurant going out of business. It wasn’t too long till we lost our interest and moved on.

We walked around some more and was lead to a small hallway going to the courts where Tiosejo’s friend was waiting for us. We had a chance to talk to him about our questions on the club and its history. We were lead to the waiting shed adjacent to the two badminton courts. There we sat down with “Totoy” Rodolpho. 

Totoy has been working for Club Filipino for almost two decades and he has seen the changes involved with the club. “Kuya Totoy, if I may ask, why is the club like this? It isn’t as fabulous and as amazing as I expected it to be,” I asked in Filipino. He replied to me, telling me that I haven’t seen the club as a whole. He tells me that I was only seeing its physical appearance, not its sentimental value. He then tells me to look around the club for a while as Tiosejo interviews him for his part of the story. It was intriguing really,  about what he had told me.


A New Perspective


I went around the courts area, passing the badminton courts and seeing a separated court. The court had a line on the wall, with the words “Pasa” and “Falta.” The words to indicate pass or fail for a serve in Raquet Ball. Raquet Ball is a famous sport in Europe, but here you can notice the dust collecting on the corners of the room and the almost retro-80s looking scoreboard, indicating how much the room is left unused. I took a picture of the room as it was odd to see that such a court even exists here in the Philippines.

The unused Raquetball court
I moved on, going in the club itself. I was afraid I might get lost but I decided to go in anyways, knowing I can contact Tiosejo anytime through my cellphone.  I went in a long hallway past Terrace Cafe. The hallway was similar to the first one we saw upon entering the club, but this hallway somehow was different, looking more Spanish inspired and similar to how I imagined Club Filipino to be. Going deeper into the hallway, you can see a long row of portraits of the past club presidents, all the way from Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo down to the club’s current president. Deeper into the hallway and you’ll pass by a seemingly very understated door.

The wooden door is engraved with typical square designs of Filipino doors. A look at the plaque fixed on top of the door reveals its true identity, the Cory C. Aquino Kalayaan Hall.

One look at the door and it looks seemingly understated. Only the plaque tells a story in this part. I decided to go around looking for another entrance. To my surprise, as I turned right from the end of the hallway, I was bombarded with history. It was the history that I expected, history that I wanted from Club Filipino. It was right here in the club that the place I was looking for was located.

The side entrance to the Kalayaan Hall
The main entrance was not photographed as the guard unfortunately
insisted that pictures were not allowed
The walls were white but the designs on the walls were real wood, the glass casing showed pictures of the inauguration, two giant doors with Spanish-esque engravings guarded the room entering the Cory C. Aquino Kalayaan Hall, and a golden plaque beside the doors told the story of how the room came to be known as the room where Cory Aquino became president. I was in awe as I imagined being in the room during that time. The joy, the tension, it was as if I relived history. I was quick to bring out my camera to take a picture but the guard insisted that taking of pictures of the Kalayaan Hall were not allowed.

I went back to the courts, retracing my steps through the long hallway and Terrace Cafe, back to the badminton courts where Tiosejo and Totoy were just wrapping up their interview. After snapping their pictures for Tiosejo’s article, I asked Totoy as to why the other places were left abandoned and left-out unlike the Kalayaan Hall. 

        He said to me, “Kailangan na magbago nung ibang mga rooms at lugar dahil hindi na nagagamit, sayang lang.” (We needed to change the other rooms and places, they’re not being used. It’s such a waste if they were left like that.) I remembered then, the abandoned Raquetball courts and the rooms converted to storage areas. He tells me that some of the places were even converted to real working profits. 

        He tells me about Cafe Amorsolo, a cafe put up by the club as additional profit. It used to be an old office, and was then converted to a cafe upon the relocation of the office. “Mabuti nga at mapapakinabangan rin namin.” (It’s great that we can find some usefulness for it.) He added. I smiled at him, knowing just exactly what I came here for.
Cafe Amorsolo
Used to be an old office, now is a working profit.

We said our thank you and gave our gifts to Totoy as we prepared to leave. I ask myself about the changes they had done to Club Filipino, whether it was good, or it was bad. Walking out I see Cafe Amorsolo, perched on the inside of Club Filipino, attracting customers. Looking at the cafe, it then hit me.

Life isn’t permanent, it is always prone to change. I hadn’t seen it when I first arrived at Club Filipino, expecting a grandeur Spanish entrance. I have seen it when I left Club Filipino, seeing the modern take over the ancient. It is something we have to face. Though most of us, including me, are afraid of change, we should accept it. Change is inevitable, nothing is permanent. Like Club Filipino, we should learn to get over our sentiments and change for the better. We should listen to the future and bury our past, but we should also learn to embrace it and look back, just like the way they did with the Kalayaan Hall.

Club Filipino may have changed a lot since its birth in 1898, but it will forever be in the hearts of Filipinos as a place of history. Historic, yet looking into the future, seeing in a new perspective.

***




17 comments:

  1. It was interesting to hear about Club Filipino, especially because I don't really know much about that place. I learned interesting facts through the article, especially on its history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remarkable! Simply remarkable! By far one of your best article Mr de Guzman. I like the way you impose your feelings in order to enlighten the degree of importance of such a marvelous place. You have given a new meaning to appreciation my friend. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG.

    It was an interesting article to read, since it was very descriptive of the place. The focus of your feature article was very clear. It also gave a lot of background and info on the history of Club Filipino. Great article!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic! This article gave me an overview of Club Filipino. Knowing the history of Club Filipino truly is an adventure through time. It's very similar to my trip to other countries like China, it has a lot of history to be told and to be preserved. I love it! Thank you very much for the wonderful information.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really made make feel that I was walking along the halls of Club Filipino and at the same time I was experiencing the emotions and realisations Mr. de Guzman is trying to enstil into the the minds of his readers. With the mix of what is physically there along with the slight impositions of the emotions and realisations of the author really make the article a pleasurable and enjoyable read .I raise my glass to Mr. de Guzman for writing this insightful and wonderful article that I have read on this fine wednesday evening. BRAVO!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must say Blimey to this article! Dog’s Bollocks! This is simply a gobsmacked article. Why, Its the Bee's knees! Never in my life 'ave I read a stonker article made by a toff chap that made me excited to my Alen Whickers. This article is tickety-boo. The wacky backy chap who made this article is surely full of beans!. Bobs your uncle what a delight to read! I sure hope you wont get your knickers in a twist when going to Club Filipino like I will. Cheerio! Tea with the queen, Fish and chips and all that. Ta-ta

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an interesting epiphany, Gio! I found that this was a well written article that gave me new insights about Club Filipino (which I had only visited once). Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing! Simply amazing! That is all I could say to this literary genius who, once again, enlightened me with his profound use of artistic realizations demonstrated through black and white. I hardly can't wait for the day this man becomes one of the world's premiere artists in the realm of writing. Club Filipino was once only a mere place where seniors could go, in my perspective, but after reading this my world has changed completely! You have made my brain, how the kids say these days, jizz out of it's mind! Superb!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What lovely description you have given Club Filipino! I love how you also tackled the history of the place before defining your experience of the area. Now Club Filipino seems like such an interesting location to visit because of this little vignette you have provided through this article. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The article made me feel like I was the one walking through the halls of Club Filipino. It was very descriptive of the place and it also offered the insights of the writer. Great job Gio! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This truly paints a picture of Club Filipino for people like me who haven't been there. Nice insight also, it gives a heads up to people not to judge the place merely by how it looks like. Nice one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I personally knew about Club Filipino before reading this article, and have been inside; but I must agree with the article. Yes, it may seem like an ordinary building, but no, it has a historical background. I always thought of it as a normal club house where rich people would gather for sports like Manila Polo Club, but Club Filipino is actually different. Being that is it from Greenhills, I do actually see it a lot. Although I never was curious to enter the place before, after reading this article, I can't help but want to visit it again; being that the last time I visited the place was years and years ago. Thanks for the new insights! :)

    Cheers!
    -Simon Cheng, BS-MIS

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a masterpiece for an article, I've never been interested to such articles, but this one is very very interesting, it gives me knowledge about what club filipino is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a nice article. As a guy who usually goes to Club Filipino, I've never heard such stories. Thanks for the info! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was so nice to read about how your perception developed as you dug around the place to gather facts for this article. Honestly, I didn't expect that much historical and current significance to be hidden around a place like Club Filipino. Although i spotted some grammatical errors and some sentences and words could have been changed to make your point more direct, i still think this piece is very, very beautifully written. Great job :D *high five*

    ReplyDelete
  16. When I first saw it was too long but as I read it, I got more into the whole text. As I read it, I felt like I was also taking a tour of the place. A few errors in grammar but it was not enough to destroy the beauty of the text. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Greenhills in Manila sure has its fair share in history. A good to relive it is by living in the place. Have the chance to live there and be nearby wack wack country club as well. Through this condo home in greenhills.

    ReplyDelete